Rye bread has a wonderful earthy flavour. It’s chewy texture lends itself to a good dollop of cream cheese or serve with your choice cured meat and pickles.
- Preheat oven to 180 °C. Grease a baking tray with oil.
- Place the yeast, sugar or fructose and water in a large shallow bowl or mixer. Leave for 5-10 minutes until foamy (allowing the yeast to start its first rise).
- Add oil and salt, then stir.
- Add the flour, one cup at a time, stirring until it all ‘sticks’ together.
- Dust your hands with flour and knead the dough; divide it in half and form each into a rough round shape.
- Place them on a baking tray and rub the tops with a little water.
- Leave to rise for 30-45 minutes. Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 1 hour.
- 2 x 10 g Instant dry yeast
- ½ cup Sugar, fructose or molasses
- ½ -2 cup Luke Warm Water
- ½ cup Canola Oil
- 1 tsp Fine Salt
- 1 kg Eureka Mills Pure Rye four