Focaccia is a type Italian yeast bread baked in flat sheet pans, flavoured with olive oil and traditionally topped with herbs.
Note: With this recipe you can decide what toppings work best for you. It is always nice to add some lemon zest for extra flavour.
- Dissolve the yeast in 400g warm water and wait about 5 minutes.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, combine the Eureka White Bread and Whole Meal flour. Add the yeast mixture in 1/2. Pulse until a rough ball of dough forms, moist but not too sticky.
- Let the dough rest for 10 minutes. Add the 12g salt and 2 tbsp olive oil.
- Fold the dough for about 8 minutes to combine the salt and olive oil and into the dough and until soft and smooth.
- Rub some olive oil over the dough. Cover the dough with a damp cloth and leave in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- While waiting for the dough to rise pre-heat the oven to 190 °C. Cover the bottom of your flat sheet baking pan with baking paper.
- Punch down. After 30 minutes gently fold the dough from side to side to let some air out. (Only fold once on each side!)
- Using your fingertips coax and stretch the dough to cover the bottom of the pan; it may not reach all the way to the edges. Cover with a damp cloth and let it rise for 20 minutes in a warm place.
- When the focaccia has puffed up a little in the pan, sprinkle the rosemary evenly over the surface. Using your fingertips, dimple the surface of the focaccia all over. Drizzle the garlic and 2 tbsp olive oil over the surface. Sprinkle the loaf with 3 pinches of flaky salt.
- Place the focaccia in the oven and bake for 25 minutes checking after 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Using a spatula, remove the bread from the baking sheet and place on a cooling rack to cool slightly. Focaccia is best eaten when warm, but it is also perfectly fine at room temperature.
- Serve with some fresh olive oil on the side!
- 450 g Eureka Mills White Bread Flour
- 400 – 430 g Luke Warm Water
- 60 g Eureka Mills Whole Meal Flour
- 12 g Salt
- 2 tbsp Fresh Rosemary
- 1 tsp Flaky Salt
- 2 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 5 tbsp Olive Oil
- 10 g Yeast